Back to Homepage
Wales Underground
Homepage Take a look at maps Links
   

Welsh Slate
Museum

Introduction

History & Archeology

Information

Accommodation

 

Introduction

View of the Welsh Slate museum.The Welsh Slate museum opened in May 1972 as part of the National Museum of Wales. It is a living, working museum set amongst the towering slate tips of Dinorwig quarry. The museum building is sited in the original Victorian workshops built in 1870.

Another new addition to the site is a row of four quarrymen’s houses, rescued from demolition in Blaenau Ffestiniog. One house is furnished as built in 1860, one during the Penrhyn Strike of 1901, the third at the time of the quarry’s closure in 1969. The fourth offers interactive learning for schools, children and their families, one of many educational and play activities being developed on the site. Also visit the Chief Engineer’s House in the Museum quadrangle - refurnished to 1911.

History and Archeology >>

More about Welsh Slate >>